Fire Safety Organization: Empowering Fire Safety in Fire Certificate
Fire Services (Fire Certificate) (Amendment) Regulations 2020 has been released but everybody is wondering when the enforcement of it will happen.
What are the prerequisites things to consider for Fire Safety Organization establishment?
When will the competency course for Fire Safety Manager (FSM) and Fire Safety Officer (FSO) be held?
What is the guideline to comply with in the current situation before it was fully enforced?
These are the things hovering in the minds of the premises’ owners for the Designated Premises for the Fire Certificate.
Fire safety organizations and Fire Hazards are inversely proportional to each other. When the creation of awareness, educating people on fire safety measures, responding to fire emergencies, and ensuring that buildings and public spaces comply with fire safety regulations, it will totally bring the Fire Hazards down to Zero.
Fire Safety Organizations have to be established according to Sub regulation 6B (1), Fire Services (Fire Certificate) (Amendment) Regulations 2020 which is
“any owner, occupier or person who has full management over the Designated Premises shall upon an application made under regulation 6C establish a fire safety organization in respect of the Designated Premises”
As the lead agency in Malaysia and the enforcer of this regulation, the Fire and Rescue Department of Malaysia (FRDM) is responsible for ensuring this regulation must be enforced through Fire Safety Division for all of the Designated Premises nationwide.
Each Fire safety organization should consist of one certified Fire Safety Manager and three certified Fire Safety Officers appointed by the owner of the Designated PremisesSub regulation 6B (2), Fire Services (Fire Certificate) (Amendment) Regulations 2020.
Fire Safety Manager and Fire Safety Officers must be certified by the Director General of the Fire and Rescue Department of Malaysia through any appointed Training Provider for example Fire Emergency Rescue Academy (FERA) which is one of the Registered Training Providers under the Human Resource Development Corporation (HRD Corp) and well known as the Fire Safety Training Provider in various category.
According to Sub Regulation 6E (1), Fire Services (Fire Certificate) (Amendment) Regulations 2020, Fire Safety Organization must have below responsibilities:
- Full responsible for fire safety for Designated Premises under their responsibility.
- In the event of Fire or any incidents in the Designated Premises before the arrival of the Fire Officer, the Fire Safety Organization can give instructions for evacuation purposes and to extinguish, prevent and control the fire using all of the Fire Safety Installations in the Designated Premises.
- Remove all the Fire Hazards from the designated premises.
- To prepare Fire Emergency Response Plans and Fire Safety Reports.
- Ensure the copy of the Fire Emergency Response Plan and all records or documentation are well kept in the Fire Control Centre.
- To ensure all of the Fire Safety Installation and Fire Control Centre in the designated premises are in good condition.
- To attend any course or training as instructed by Director General.
- To conduct any course or training related to Fire Safety for the occupant at least once a year.
- Conduct fire drills in the designated premises at least once a year.
- To conduct any task as instructed by the Director General.
In conclusion, Fire Safety Organizations in Malaysia play a crucial role in ensuring that the occupants in the designated premises are safe from fire hazards.
These organizations work towards creating awareness and educating the public on fire safety measures, responding to fire emergencies, and ensuring that buildings and public spaces comply with fire safety regulations.
The government’s implementation of fire safety regulations and standards has also contributed significantly to improving fire safety in the country.
It is essential for individuals and organizations to take fire safety seriously and work together with these organizations to prevent fire emergencies and protect lives and property.